The prize drawing for this challenge is no longer open, but tackle it anyway for some much needed self care.
It’s time to take a break from vacations. Vacating our lives for a much-needed restful pause or fleeting adventurous escape can be relaxing and refreshing in the moment, but the benefits linger often only until we return to our normal routines. Instead, we can–and should–instill the same rejuvenating practices in our lives every single day, even if for only a few minutes at a time, for long-lasting rewards.
While it may seem counterintuitive or even selfish to take time away from myriad responsibilities, in reality, reconnecting with yourself every day can help reduce stress, promote healthy habits and increase your overall happiness, which in turn allows you to become the best you for yourself, family, friends and coworkers. That’s why this month we’re teaming up with Meredith Magnini, RD, yoga instructor and Travel Well’s newest monthly contributor. Together, we’re challenging you to make September the month of you by setting aside at least one moment each day for self care.
Intentional care of physical, mental and emotional health will differ for everyone, and some may want to try something new each day while others might repeat the same activity. That’s ok! Finding what works best for you instead of fitting someone else’s mold will help you enjoy and keep up the practice. Starting September 8th, Meredith will post a new activity to try on her Facebook page each day. Follow along with us there, or try any other self care activities that interest you (see our list of ideas below.) Share your actions on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #feedmindbodyspirit. We want to see and share your photos, thoughts and ideas throughout the month.
20 Self Care Ideas
- Take 20 minutes to stretch and unwind
- Get 15-20 minutes of direct sunlight (wear sunscreen if needed)
- Unplug for an hour
- Get rid of negativity in your social feeds by muting or disconnecting from toxic pages and people
- Try new recipes that are healthy and delicious
- Enjoy half an hour of quiet alone time with coffee and a good book
- Spice up your exercise routine with a new class or workout
- Treat yourself to a spa date at home or an actual spa
- Take 10 slow and deep breaths at the end of every hour and/or when you notice you’re feeling stressed, anxious, angry or tense
- Try aromatherapy candles or essential oils
- Crank up your favorite music and dance!
- Take a nap
- Get a massage
- Make your surroundings healthier and greener
- Try a gentle yoga class
- Write a positivity journal
- Snuggle or play with pets
- Do something artsy: draw, color, paint, write, take photos, play an instrument, etc.
- Surround yourself with positivity: funny pictures, beautiful things, uplifting words and sayings
UPDATE: Meredith is now offering a prize! When you post about your daily activity, use both #feedmindbodyspirit and #mmrd to be entered to win a $25 Whole Foods gift certificate!